I began my musical studies with classical violin, though now I perform and teach Irish traditional music exclusively. From 2004-2005, I studied with renowned Irish fiddler James Kelly through a Florida Folklife Apprenticeship grant. Though fiddle is my main instrument, I have also played the harp classically and in the Irish traditional style for 15 years, and do sometimes pick up the tenor banjo as well.
I practice a style of dance called sean-nós. This is a form of percussive dance different from the more well known competition style of step-dance. Sean-nós dancing has lots of regional variation in how it’s practiced, as well as leaving plenty of room for personal expression.
For a sample of my fiddle playing, below is a set of slip jigs from a March 2013 solo faculty concert at the College of Music, Florida State University. The first tune is called Lough Key and is composed by fiddler Larry Redican, and the second two are my own compositions: The Ringing Harp (2005) and Dancing Girls (2012). You can hear more of my playing, as well as a few samples of concert recordings from over 10 semesters of FSU Irish Music Ensemble performances, at my Soundcloud page.
Guest Artist Performance-Lectures and Workshops (Selected)
- April 2017: Guest Artist Workshop – Sean-nós dance. Department of Music, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT.
- May 2015, March 2013, November 2012, March 2012, October 2007, October 2006, February 2006: Guest lecturer and performer in Irish traditional music and dance for undergraduate World Music Cultures students at Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.
- February 2014: Faculty ensemble concert with Mooncoin Trio. College of Music, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.
- March 2013: Faculty solo concert, Irish fiddle. College of Music, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.
- March 2011: Duet performance with fiddler James Kelly, Guest Artist Rainbow Concert of World Music, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.
- March 2011: Invited lecturer on Irish traditional music from the 1910s to the 1970s, and guest artist performance at Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA.
- September 2007: Solo concert, Irish fiddle. Friday Musicale Concert Series, Jacksonville, FL.
- November 2005: Guest lecturer and performer on classical violin, viola and harp for undergraduate Music Appreciation students at Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.